Al-Saleh Institute Support Project for Youth (AISPY)
Friday, August 20, 2010
Award Duration: November 2009 - June 2011
Award Amount: $1,650,000
Location: Marib, Al-Jawf and Shaba
Target Population: youth ages 15 - 24 years
Major Areas of Work: work readiness; life skills; vocational and technical training
The Al-Saleh Youth Center is a residential center located in the Governorate of Marib. It is designed to serve 120 young men and women, ages 15 – 24, from the rural tribal areas of Marib, Al-Jawf and Shaba. The goal fo the Center is to provide targeted youth with the technical, vocational, interpersonal and life skills needed to build their capabilites, enhance their self esteem and self-image, and improve their employment prospects in the job market.
Objectives • Strengthen the capacity of the Al-Saleh Foundation to manage the Center, through training, technical assistance, and materials development in the areas of management, finances, operations, program, youth development and strategic partnerships.
• Develop and/or strengthen the Center's program design and short-term operational Plan.
• Establish partnerships and formulate plans that ensure the Center's long-term success.
Activities Strengthen the capacity of the Al-Saleh Foundation
• Based on an organizational assessment, develop and 18-month program of capacity building in administrative and financial systems, management and youth development
• Provide interim management to the Center and mentor Center staff
• Develop procedures, processes, manuals and systems that ensure a sound management and governance structure for the Center
• Develop a program of professional development for Center staff in the areas of youth development, livelihoods and workforce development, facilitation and collaboration
• Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation system to track youth outcomes of participation in Center activities
• Procure furniture, equipment and other assets needed to operate the center
Develop and strengthen the Center's program design and short-term operational plan
This objective includes the following tasks, to be carried out in partnership with the Al-Saleh Foundation and Youth Center, and with the participation of youth where applicable:
• Survey the skill development and training needs of targeted youth, building on the results of the CSY Yemen assessment (November 2008)
• Survey the livelihoods and employment prospects for youth in the three targeted governorates of Marib, Al-Jawf, Shabwa
• Identify and assess the capacities of potential skills development and training providers
• Develop a design, plan for and begin to implement new and/or strengthened program activities
Education Development Center (EDC)
Primary Local Partners
Local Youth Serving Organizations
Al-Saleh Institute Support Project for Youth (AISPY) Overview