Proyecto METAS Honduras
To learn more about METAS, visit the project website at http://www.proyectometas.org
Award Duration: September 2010-September 2014
Award Amount: $10.5 million
Target Population: private sector employers; at-risk youth
Location: Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula
Major Areas of Work: work readiness; basic education; technical training
Proyecto Metas is a USAID-funded project that will help Honduras meet the changing education and training needs of private sector employers and a large population of young people with limited access to basic education or training opportunities, with special attention for at-risk youth.
To meet this goal, METAS will work to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide up-to-date basic education and technical training skills to improve the preparation of an emerging workforce.
- Offer assistance to the Government of Honduras to improve the country's alternative basic and secondary education programs for out-of-school children and youth.
- Establish private-sector alliances and provide youth with training opportunities to obtain work readiness skills that will help them secure jobs in the local labor market with the ultimate goal of improving livelihood opportunities for young people in Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula.
1) Establish alliances with local institutions to enhance initiatives targeting at-risk youth for enrollment in basic education, technical training, and related programs.
2) Provide technical assistance to Honduran alternative education programs to increase access to high quality, post-primary education for out-of-school youth and young adults.
3) Help technical high schools and training programs upgrade and implement basic education or technical training curricula to meet private sector needs
4) Establish private sector alliances to help promote and maintain employment opportunities for youth.